Modern Healthcare is seeking a competitive and experienced reporter to cover hospital finance for a business audience. This reporter will investigate financial trends, earnings reports and business relationships to discover how health care providers manage their bottom lines and investments. They will have the opportunity to directly affect business decisions and explore the strategies behind the industry’s finances. This beat includes the country’s largest not-for-profit, investor-owned and public health systems, as well as financial investors in the sector, such as private equity and venture capital.
This individual is expected to generate enterprise, analysis and features for our website and twice-monthly magazine, as well as cover the news of the day. They will have opportunities to participate in podcasts, video and data reporting projects.
We are a creative and exciting workplace that values innovation and prioritizes in-depth, analytical reporting and narrative writing. The position will give the successful candidate an opportunity to break stories in the hotly competitive health care journalism space and serve our core audience of industry professionals and policymakers.
Modern Healthcare expects this reporter to develop a robust and diverse roster of sources to help break news and explore changes in health care delivery and payment across the country.
- BA in journalism or related field
- Four years minimum of healthcare business reporting experience
- Ability to meet deadlines and file clean, concise, and comprehensive copy on complex issues with a high degree of accuracy, balance and relatability
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and must be curious and able to generate enterprise feature ideas
- Must have attention to detail, industry knowledge and the ability to interpret data for trend stories
- Ability to work with editors to develop story ideas, schedule them and deliver them on time while keeping in close touch with editors about developments on news beat
- Ability to digest large amounts of information, “see the story,” and execute with urgency as needed
- Ability to work remotely or in our Chicago office while keeping your editors and colleagues informed of your assignments and developments
- Minimum of three recent clips
- Aptitude for translating healthcare jargon
- Experience covering hospital finance and health care business news.
- Candidates most likely to excel in this position will be ones who are self-started, motivated by excellence, competitive, curious, and enjoy being part of a team
- Web publishing, multimedia and social media experience
- Interest and skills in database journalism
To apply, go here.